Benefit Calculator and Claim

From 11 July new claims for Housing Benefit will only be accepted for customers who are:

  • Families with three or more children
  • Pension credit age
  • Living in Supported Exempt accommodation
  • Living in temporary homeless accommodation

Customers who do not meet any of the above criteria will need to make a claim for Universal Credit to receive help for their rent.

Council Tax Support is a local scheme and provides help with your council tax bill by reducing the amount you have to pay, depending on your income.

Help to pay your Council tax is not included in Universal Credit and continues to be provided by Coventry City Council.

Read more information about Universal Credit or apply now

Free School Meals

If you only want to claim Free School Meals, you are able to do this on a separate shorter application form.To access that form, please go to

Using your personal information

Data Protection Act 2018

The Data Controller is Coventry City Council

The information you provide will only be used to process your claim and to assess entitlement to any other benefits, grants or services that the Council provides.

We may share your information with other bodies, which include schools, government departments, other local authorities and private sector companies such as employers, banks and organisations that may lend you money, if the law allows or requires it, to help improve the service you receive and to develop other services.

Coventry City Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see

If you live in the area covered by Coventry City Council, you can use this application to:

  • see how much Housing Benefit you could get if you rent your home
  • see how much Council Tax Support you could get if you are the person who is responsible for paying the Council Tax for the home you live in
  • find out if you're entitled to Income Support, Pension Credit or Tax Credits

The application is in two parts. The first is a calculator which can give you an idea of what you may be entitled to. The second part allows you to make a claim.

Start a new calculation/claim

Return to a calculation/claim you have saved